Smile Snacks

Non-caloric~non-fat~just pure un-*adult*-erated fun!

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Marketing to Muppets


As an inveterate, impulsive, spendthrift consumer/shopper, I am on the List of Lists. Clever marketers know how to market to a muppet, or at the least, THIS muppet.

And so it is I receive every shopping magazine known to mankind and muppetkind. Everything from survival camping gear to outrageous luxury goods arrives in my mailbox. These magazines are a godsend when I'm sick.

Since I was plopped in bed recently--sick once again--with my box of kleenex, a large mug of hot tea, a glass of Emergen-C and little desire to read anything of substance, I leafed through my stack of recent mailings.

It is very healing to visualize traveling to exotic locations and buying this or that when you're sick. Doing so always makes me feel better.
Of course, I have little need for any of this stuff, but it's fun just to same to imagine.


For instance, I recently saw a photo of Brad Pitt taking his son around in a motorcycle with a sidecar. I thought to myself how cool is that...what a great dad! And then I picked up my latest copy of the Hammacher Schlemmer magazine, and right on the cover is one of these similar fabulous motorcyles, and the Allied Victory Sidecar Motorcycle sells for only $10,000! Such a deal. I LOVE a deal.


Hammacher Schlemmer advertises itself as "American's Longest Running Catalog...Offering the Best, the Only and the Unexpected for 164 years." It's an amazing catalog full of amazing things, some impractical and some quite useful. I lusted for quite a few things in their recent catalog such as the new digital polaroid camera which combines the old with the new. And it's only $299.95!


Speaking of deals, on my To-Do List when I'm feeling better, I plan to read the new e-book, "Life On a Shoestring in Beverly Hills" by Christine Redlin. 

Maybe I can learn a thing or two about shopping. Ya think?

 

3 comments:

  1. I'm following your blog on my blog accordingtosamandjim.blogspot.com
    Like your humor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the support it's Christine -- Author of "Life On A Shoestring ... In Beverly Hills?" (www.lifeonashoestringinbeverlyhills.com) I didn't know you posted something about my book I am grateful - enjoy the read and have a good 'savings' weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do you think your blog matters to a lot of people?

    ReplyDelete